Monday, August 12, 2013

Rattlesnake Ridge

 
OK, so I need to make this quick.  I totally meant to have this done SO much earlier tonight than I did and now it's late and I just want to get it done and posted. 
 
This will be the short version!
 
A day or 2 after July 4th I drug the kids up yet another mountain trail, much to their horror (and by the time I was done mine too...rotten kids!).  This was the biggest one we'd done yet, 2 miles up and 2 miles down (however you decided to go down...STEEP!).
 
This hike was by my old house in North Bend, called Rattlesnake Ridge (or was it Ledge?  I don't know...lived there for 4 years and never once did I hike this trail...lame I know!).  Alright, let's get back on track.  Off on an adventure we go, grumbling kids and all.  Definitely a tough hike and I was really proud of Eli for making it ALL the way...I wasn't sure I was going to make it...some parts were a tad scary (slippery wise...one false step and roll right down the mountain you would!).
 
This picture is when we thought we were at the top only to find out we still had .1 mile to go! Aacckkk!  So off we go to get to the real top of the mountain.
 
LOL a view from the 'fake' top

 ...and another one...really is spectacular.  Please don't ask me what anything is...I have no idea what direction I'm even looking it or where North and South really are...North is up and South is down and we never eat shredded wheat!
 OK! So NOW we are at the official top of the mountain...OK I'll admit...I have no idea if we were hiking a mountain or not.  Is a ridge a mountain or part of one???

                                    I think that is Mount Si or Little Si directly across but I'm not sure.  There were a TON of people doing the same damn thing I was doing that day and that was dragging people and pets up that thing.  I swear we saw a 9 month pregnant woman being drug up there by her husband and we saw a Pug up there.  Either that Pug was held while hiking or Mighty and his 'Darth Vader breathing' is all a hoax on Mighty's part.  I'm undecided which.
 OK, we can say we've been to the top and now we will drink copious amounts of water and eat our snacks.  Because let's face it...we are all about food here people!  That and it took us 2 hours to get up there and 1+ to get down...figure that one out!
 Looking down...lots of ledges here ....hence Rattlesnake Ledge...I believe.  Have no idea where in North Bend this is but I'm sure someone does...just someone not counting on me to know where I'm at.
 ...and the body of the hour(s), Rattlesnake Lake!  We are very high up...I wish I could remember the elevation but it was possible to go even higher and get a more spectacular view...however I wasn't about to hike 2 more miles!  Save that for a later date...I'll drag Nikki up this thing...LOL!
Over all I would do this hike again...at least I know what I'm getting into...I may even invest in a babysitter so I don't have to listen to a bunch of whiners.  My kids really do hate me but I'd like to think down the line when they are 35 and are doing the things I'm just now learning and implementing that they will thank me.  Even if it's quietly in their head saying...thank you mom, thank you for taking the time to teach us to be active...you were right mom it's important to do these things!


I have no idea if this post even justifies as short! 

1 comment:

  1. Anita, you are hilarious! In the last two weeks, my son has said the following to me: I'm the worst mom ever, I'm no fun, he wishes I was in CA instead of his dad, he doesn't love me, he wishes he had a different mom...and the best, considering it was Shark Week last week, he wishes a shark would come and bite my head off! My response is the same: ok, well, I still love you! ....to which he responds, 'well I don't!' Ahhhhhh, motherhood.

    ReplyDelete

Music That Moves You

I don't know about you guys, but there are times in my life that are defined by music. The summer after I graduated High school was Tom...