Thursday, January 14, 2010

Ian the Science Guy

Today Ian came home with a book on Volcanoes and such...in class they have been studying earth and volcanoes and dirt and rocks...he LOVES this stuff. He keeps making plans for what he's gonna be when he's older...last week it was an engineer...this week so far it's a paleontologist...

In this book it had different experiments to do and one of them was rock crystals...and it was simple, quick, and easy. So I said sure! Ian did most of the work except for the part where I poured the hot liquid into the mason jar. He was so excited he showed his dad and his Uncle Jason...
Step one: sugar Step two: measure the water
Step three: add food coloring and heat on the stove...stir until everything is dissolved...he was so proud of himself for doing all this! Pretty tickled too!
Step four: the finished product. It will take several days for the sugar crystals to begin forming on the string but it should be fun to keep track of.

I hope it works or I might have a very disappointed little boy on my hands!

2 comments:

Music That Moves You

I don't know about you guys, but there are times in my life that are defined by music. The summer after I graduated High school was Tom...