Monday, August 31, 2009

I've been canned!

Okie Dokie people! After some harassment I am finally updating my blog. I have been SO busy...against my will! So last week sometime, I forget the day/night, I decided to jump in feet first and try my hand at canning peaches all by myself. I figured I could follow directions so why couldn't I figure out canning...right? RIGHT!
So here is my story in photos ( I was going to type more but of course Eli is up and well...whatever).
So here is the view looking into my kitchen. It's my set up. Pot for boiling peaches up front, syrup up front, canner in back and lids in back. Note to self...NEED bigger kitchen. It is a ONE butt kitchen!
And just so you all know, this blog site changed their format for loading pictures and it's throwing me all off. But it doesn't take much at this point to do that. So this is my pot I was boiling the peaches in. I have to be honest and tell you, it's the coolest thing ever doing that and then just taking the skin off those peaches...WAY cool!
Here is my light sugar syrup I put in my jars. So this is my canner, well a friends she let me borrow it. Anyway, the first batch I didn't quite get a canner full.
So here is my 'helper' and I use that word loosely. This is where he sat and fell asleep for the HOURS it took me to do my peaches.
Here they are boiling. Speaking of boiling...just a canning tip, but it does help a wee bit to actually have the said burner in question ON! Don't ask! I'm just THAT scary folks.
So here is the aftermath, well not really. Some if not most of that was from before I started. I needed my dishwasher for my jars.Here is my end net result. After hours of labor on my newest venture, I managed to can 10, count them folks, 10 jars of sliced peaches! WHEW! Now I have to do my pears today, otherwise...well we just won't go there will we? We will enjoy them this winter and I CAN'T wait!
OK, sorry that this post was so long in coming and that it's so 'off' with the pictures but I'll figure out the new system yet.
Take care and I'll try and be back tomorrow!
And just for giggles cause things are all F.U.B.A.R anyway, here's a picture of where my cold bowl for the boiled peaches was and where I put my sliced peaches after I was done pealing them. Quite the set up I tell you. I need to figure something out for the pears today.

3 comments:

  1. I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!!!!!!!! What a huge job! I've missed your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job. I loved canning. Not much sense now. AM glad you are back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you Anita! What a way to provide for your family. And it IS always good to turn the burner ON. I've missed your updates. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete

Music That Moves You

I don't know about you guys, but there are times in my life that are defined by music. The summer after I graduated High school was Tom...