Saturday, November 14, 2009

Lee's Day

So my story starts out Monday afternoon of last week. Lee came home not acting like his self and I asked him if his ear hurt. He said yes (surprise!) and I went and took Lee's temperature and sure enough he hit 100' while at school. (I told Frank at least a week before this that he would catch a cold and it would settle in his chest and ears...and it did...3 days before he was scheduled to have his surgery...that's SO us!) So I gave him some Motrin and some ear drops I refer to as 'liquid gold' and that seemed to have helped cause he started bouncing off the walls.

Well dinner came and went and it was bedtime and that went fine (I should have known cause they were all quiet all at the same time). I finally am able to lay Eli down in his bed and while I'm doing that Lee wakes up to go potty and so I tap on the door and check to see how he's doing (he's been up off and on coughing). He tells me he's not doing so well and his ear REALLY hurts. So I take his temperature and I couldn't believe it...103.6!!! I just looked at him and said why didn't you come get me and tell me you weren't feeling good!?! I can give you stuff that will make you feel a little bit better! So I give him Motrin and Robitussin and with in secs of giving him that I got to see 'artwork'. He managed to spew all over the bathroom and get just a few drops in the toilet...oh what a long night it was turning out to be...cause on top of ALL that Eli of course woke up. I had to put him on my bed with his dad while I cleaned....YUK!

So I left the medicine bit alone and let Lee go back to bed and hoped his temp. would go down. Well at some point during the spewing and going to bed his ear started draining...again...tinged with blood...again...sigh! So I get Ian off to school and have left a message for the ENT as to what I should do cause by golly he's going to have this surgery on Wed!! He needs this surgery!! So they call back and have us come in and check his ear and actually do something I think sounds like it would feel good. They suctioned out the pus out of his ear...I could see his eyes roll to the back of his head...so they got Lee squared away and when she was done I asked her if she wouldn't mind looking at Eli's ears for giggles since we were there (he'd been a pill for a day or two again after being sick a few days ago...and been tugging at an ear) sure enough he needed meds too. It wasn't bad but enough for me to look at her with those mom eyes and she said you want a prescription for him too?? Yes please! So I got meds for Eli and another prescription for the 'liquid gold'. So that gal goes out and consults with the ENT and they decided that instead of getting an antibiotic at the pharmacy, Lee really needs to get it at the office.....in the butt. I have 2 other children there and they want him to get a shot in the butt.

I was not sure how I was going to do that...and since I had Eli and I tried to sit him down with Dru...yeah...that didn't work so well. So for the first time in my life, one person had to hold Lee down and the other gave the shot...he was very upset with the situation! I felt so bad and for that whole day his butt hurt and I know it did! But the shot worked and by the end of the day he was doing much better! And so was Eli...for 2 days that kid slept for what seemed like all day...I was afraid he was getting his days/nights mixed up!

So here is Eli on Tuesday AFTER he got his double dose of medicine...O-U-T!Lee...his butt still hurt.My two sick fellas...Lee on Wednesday. We had to get up SO early! I of course had stayed up way too late the night before...when will I learn? He has his lovey his Oma made him when he was a baby and he's got Buckey...Buckey used to me mine so he's well loved (I still miss Buckey but don't have the heart to ask for him back...sigh...). We had to be at the hospital at 6:45 AM...oh how our butts were dragging! So we get admitted and get in our hospital issued pj's...a bit drafty we noticed. He was for the most part happy go lucky.All cuddled up with his lovey. Pretty much all the ladies went gaga over it. I guess the ladies down in the OR are quilters and they loved the quilt mom!
Lee and nurse Lynn going over his important info...age...marriage status...history of anemia? You know the important stuff 5 year olds need to answer...We have now been transported to the OR. This tickled Lee cause they moved the whole bed and put it in the elevator!!!! So we are waiting for our turn, a little 16 month old boy went ahead of us...not much younger than when Lee went in for his first set of tubes (this was his 4Th set of tubes).So everything went OK up until it was time for him to get up off the bed and walk into the surgery room. That's when he broke down and started bawling, and as you know I'm the mom and it's never a good idea to break down and cry with your child. Darn it all I WANTED to cry with him!!! I hate that he's had to do this 4 times!!! That's my baby they keep messing with! They had to pick him up and walk him back there as he was crying and yelling for me...worst feeling in the world!

This is me waiting...waiting..waiting..waiting...anytime now...waiting...waiting...some texting...and waiting...and then they came to get me! WHEW!
Here is my baby! Don't you just want to rip everything off him and take him and RUN!?! I do every time! I refrained and just rubbed his shoulder and kissed his cheek. It took him a long time to come out of it...he and Buckey just snoozed away while I sat and waited and had to make idle chit chat with the nurses...so not what I wanted to be doing...wanted to be at home with my baby and not see him all hooked up to those things!
After he woke up and things were looking good they moved us back up to the room we were at when we started all this. Thank goodness! Since Lee was starving before he went into surgery they asked him if he wanted anything when he got back. He wanted toast and applesauce with some apple juice. Now if he were truly mine he'd put the applesauce on TOP of his toast...but he didn't. He didn't eat anything now that I remember. I ate the toast..figured I better leave the applesauce for him just in case.

So a few more blood pressure reads and we were outta there!

The more time that goes by the better his ears get. He said to me the next day, 'mom...everything is SO loud!?!' I thought that was funny...his ears were so bad and he really needed the tubes. They will check his hearing when we have his post-op appointment. The hope is he won't have a hearing loss like he's been having. He's had a 25% hearing loss in both ears for a long time...

So that was our big day...he's all better and was bouncing off the walls as we walked into the house coming back home from surgery. Made Frank and I both tired...all we wanted to do was watch movies all day and take care of a child who just had surgery and was going to be 'down' for the day. HA! Joke was on us!

Sorry this was so long but I hope you enjoyed the retelling of our day.

3 comments:

  1. Poor Buddy..that's not a fun way to spend a day but if it helps, it will be worth it. I remember 2 nurses and me holding down my oldest daughter for a shot. I promised her the moon if she just would quit screaming and lay still~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad Lee is already feeling better. I hate tubes but love what they do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Auntie is she still asking for the moon? ;) The tubes have already made such a huge difference I know it was worth it but hate what we have to do to get those...so little to be going under...

    ReplyDelete

Music That Moves You

I don't know about you guys, but there are times in my life that are defined by music. The summer after I graduated High school was Tom...