Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Check Out My Melons

HAHAHA! Made ya look!

I had forgotten all about this post I wanted to do while I was there. My friend and I went to Crescent Bar and we did our shopping for the trip in East Wenatchee and got our food there. While shopping with 6 kids and pretty much bringing the place down, not really...but close. While in the produce section we strolled along this little treasure.

This is called a Santa Claus melon. Neither one of us had heard of such a melon and were quite intrigued. Now I will tell you that another friend had been telling me of different melons she'd been finding at home at one of our local farmer road side stands. I can't remember if she had told me about this one or not. Either way, we were curious and decided to bite the bullet and buy the melon. We wanted to try something new and thought the kids would really enjoy it too. So Friday or Saturday night, I can't remember which, we sliced the puppy open. Now, I know most of you aren't me so you don't think like me (it's unfortunate I know, but we all have our crosses to bear) you would have thought that based off the name it would be a deep, dark red inside right? WRONG! We were dead wrong! It couldn't' have been farther from red if it tried. It was white, well as close to it as it could be. Anyway, the melon smelled wonderful...it almost smelled like honeydew melon. The taste however is wonderful and it simply melts in your mouth. The melon was so juicy! Literally dripping out of your mouth, juicy!

So if you ever find one in your local grocery store or farmer's market...do not hesitate to buy one! It was well worth it. My children, however didn't like it...but if you know my kids you'll know they are a little left of center. Ian ate it, but it was only so he could have seconds...he had ulterior motives. But he tried something new...he's got that going for him...that and hunger is a great motivator.

On another note, Dru had is preschool orientation today. He was so excited for that hour he was there! Eli hung out with him while I did the parent thing and even he did good. Shocking I know!!! One more week before he starts his school...the countdown has begun!

4 comments:

  1. You have never heard of a Santa Clause Melon and you thought it would be red LOLOL.. Sorry, that's funny to me :) LOved your story though ~ Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well now I want to know why they named that specific melon Santa Claus melon...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I expected it to be red too! But it sure was good.

    ReplyDelete

Music That Moves You

I don't know about you guys, but there are times in my life that are defined by music. The summer after I graduated High school was Tom...