Monday, July 19, 2010

Wounded Knee

So my family and I went camping this last weekend at Ft. Ebey. Ft. Ebey is on the Island (Oak Harbor). We have gone several times and enjoy it every time. We go to the beach, run through the gun battery, and bunker holes. We also spend a day at Ft. Casey walking around and exploring everything we want to. At Ft. Casey is a light house, Admiralty Head Light house. The boys love to go up the light house and look out. Frank took the boys up with their grandfather, while they were doing that I was out on the grounds with Frank's mother waiting to wave at the boys. While waiting and after I waved I managed to find the one AND only pot hole in a 5 mile radius of myself. I twisted my ankle pretty hard and landed on my other knee pretty darn hard too. I had Eli in my arms and was worried about him being hurt (I've fallen too many times with kids in my arms and hurt myself pretty bad in the process...that's another long, graceful story). Eli was looking at me with a look on his face like 'what the heck is your problem lady? Haven't you ever walked before? Honestly!?! It was priceless. So I fell and I had to sit for a few minutes so I handed Eli off to his grandmother. The picture that follows is pretty gruesome for a 32yr. old but go with it. I may be 32 I have the knees of an 8yr. old and I have a picture to prove it!

So here's my knee...pretty banged up...it doesn't look like this now color wise but it's swollen and I am definitely pretty sore. I have an ankle that matches that. Pretty sure I sprained/strained some tendons in my ankle. About par for myself. I'm still trying to figure out just how exactly I skinned my knee when I literally twisted my ankle and dropped to the ground. No sliding or anything like that to skin a knee. I've told you before and I'll tell you again...I have talent that many don't have. I did turn to my mother in law and told her this was exactly why I don't play sports or family games at family gatherings. That and things have a way of finding their way to my body to make me sport nice, bold bruises. Suffice it to say, I don't play catch with my husband because I've had a soccer ball, baseball and football (that I can recall) hit my forehead and leave marks. It's just not safe!!! Remember when I said I had proof my knee looked the same as an 8yr. old's? Well, here's my proof...my son Ian skinned his knee no more than a half an hour after I did. Do you notice anything? No? Well let me tell you what you might not notice/see. Ian and I managed to skin the same knee...does this family have talent or what? Yes I know it's probably the 'or what' part but still. That child is all mine...he may not look like me but everything about that child is me. Poor kid...I'm at a loss for words for him. More to come from our great camping trip! I just had to post this because it totally explains me and the poor children who are related to me, it also gives a lot of giggles to those around me. So laugh away because I am (not to the bank though and I should be...darn it). I hope everyone had a great weekend!

2 comments:

Music That Moves You

I don't know about you guys, but there are times in my life that are defined by music. The summer after I graduated High school was Tom...