Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Marky Mark and His Funky Self

So a few days ago I went and dropped some things off at Great Grandma and Great Grandpa's house and there was a surprise of sorts waiting there for us. Well not really, he was there to visit his grandparents and I just happen to call and find out.

Anyway, the gentleman sitting next to me...OK the tall one...in the white shirt, his name is Mark. He is a cousin of Frank's and so by default the poor fella is related to me or I to him. Either way.

After he graduated from high school this young man joined the military...Army division. So since then he's been off doing his thing in Georgia first and then in Texas. For the last, oh I don't know, over a year I believe, he's been in Afghanistan/ Iraq (or both I don't remember) fighting. So it was a real pleasure getting to see him. I haven't seen him in 3 years, I think that is what I figured. He's been here but through different set of events I always missed seeing him. Either the kids were sick or the kids were sick. So I was really excited to finally get to see him! Oh I had butterflies in my tummy on finally getting to see him after so long! I know that sounds silly but it's good to have him back in the country and not overseas. I can't imagine how his parents and sister must feel about having him home and how they must have felt having him gone overseas. I just know that they are all thrilled (as I would be too) to have him back.

Well we didn't get to visit long with him cause he was headed out the door to go to a concert, it was still nice to see him even if it was for a short time. Lee was VERY excited to see Cousin Mark, and he was so funny about it. I told him Cousin Mark was going to be at Great Grandma and Grandpa's and he was so excited cause he's in the Army. The Army is a big deal at our house and Ian and Lee are enthralled with it. So I tell Lee he's home from fighting in a war in a different country and Lee got all big-eyed and was impressed. Then he asked me if Cousin Mark fought with a sword and I said no, with a gun. Lee gets quiet for awhile and then says (tinged with a little awe), he fought with a REAL gun? I chuckled and said yes a real gun. I told Mark all this and he laughed and said well I should have said yes to the sword it would have made for a better story! And then while we were driving to see Mark, Lee got all teary eyed and was worried about something and I asked what was wrong and he said, 'Mom, what if Cousin Mark won't remember who I am?' I looked at Lee through the rear view mirror and said oh I wouldn't worry about that Lee, you are a hard fella to forget, he'll know who you are! No worries Lee!

That kid is so funny! So I am very thankful I was able to see Mark cause I won't get to see him again until Christmas...and that's if no kids are sick...only time will tell! That day was a good day!

Thank you Mark for everything you did and are doing!

Hope everyone has a good day!



PS. Doesn't Sparky look so cute in this picture! It's a really good one of him!

1 comment:

Music That Moves You

I don't know about you guys, but there are times in my life that are defined by music. The summer after I graduated High school was Tom...