Friday, April 17, 2009

Missing You...

Isn't that part of a song? Either way, I'm missing our former pets (mostly my cats). I think for our dog if it had been a different time in our lives it would have been better for the dog and us. But as it was...well...it wasn't. This was our dog Abby. She was a Treeing Walker Coonhound and a basketful of energy. Too much for me. I had a brand spanking new baby and a new pup was too much!!! Potty training the dog, teaching Abby manners....sigh....it was a very sad day when we gave her away. I had no idea how hard it was until the day it happened. We gave her to the Animal Shelter in hopes that someone would adopt her. Actually we had to give away all our pets because the kids were allergic to the pets...especially Lee and Dru. And one of the other major reasons we gave up the pets was a bug problem...and for as little as fleas are we had a HUGE problem!! I bathed the animals (cats included!) at least once a week if not more. I don't DO bugs and least of all THOSE kinds of bugs...and we had a horrible infestation of them. It took several months and MANY weekends of bombing my house and carpet chemicals to finally get rid of them. DON'T DO BUGS! ICK!!


This was the day we brought Abby home...she was a cute dog!

Abby found security by Dru and under the walker. I'm not sure Dru really fully appreciated it but went along with it anyway. Love Dru's face though, something else.This is Frank's baby...isn't that cute? Like once it was cute and then it was old when she kept trying to get on my brand new couches with those nails of hers! But she was a baby...I'll give you that much. Frank misses his dog, a lot...someday we'll have a dog...outside dog though...Ian and Abby...she was NOT suppose to be on the couches at all and as you can tell from Ian's face...he got her up there with her 'asking' though. Those two were trouble. Later on Abby got big and Ian wasn't so about having a dog...she played a little rough...rougher than what even my boys were used too.The look on her face was ' I DARE you' to take me off this chair again! She was ALL about comfort and she liked the rocking chair...I however didn't like her on the furniture. Can't you see what a dog person I am? Which is funny cause I grew up with two dogs and LOVED them dearly. I think though, that except for my responsibility of an hour a day for exercise...that's ALL I had to do. So I got to have the fun part of a dog as a kid. Being on the other end of it, isn't all glitz and glamour.This is Gus-Gus, my beloved orange kitty! Can you guess where the name comes from? This cat had personality!He was always where Dru was and away from the older boys. They were ALWAYS touching and wouldn't leave them along. And Gus-Gus, well his favorite spot was on top of Dru while he was nursing. Dru didn't mind though and this picture is of where Gus fell asleep and Dru was asleep.A great meeting of the minds here! Dru is giving him the low down on what the heck goes on around here. These guys were pretty close in age I think...a month older or younger...we can't remember. OK according to Frank they are older than Dru.Gus-Gus was POINTEDLY telling me something! Like I said, personality!This is Socks...she was a sweet girl. We named her Socks cause her paws looked like she was wearing white socks. She HATED it when Dru cried for any length of time she'd swat at his head with her claws out to get him to stop, which of course just made him cry harder and louder. In turn she got smacked a few times herself for doing that. I know she was trying to 'help' in her own way, bbbuuuttttt.... Socks did like Dru she just liked him better when he was quiet and not crying. Here she is giving him kisses. When she let you she loved being loved on.

All this to say I miss my pets and I hope someday we'll be able to have pets again...even cats...someday.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Anita. I had alot of trouble reading your blog. Like this much better. You are so funny - understand you had a good time looking at the tulips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a GREAT time looking at the Tulips!

    ReplyDelete

Music That Moves You

I don't know about you guys, but there are times in my life that are defined by music. The summer after I graduated High school was Tom...