Wednesday, October 7, 2009

One of THOSE days

So on Tuesday I took Eli to get his picture taken at the old Wally Mart. And that's where it all started. I have an outfit that a friend of mine lends to me, it's an 80's tux. I have had all my boys pictures taken it and I swear every time we wait just a wee bit too long. I almost had to sit on Eli to get the shirt to button up.

So we get to Walmart and to the Picture people. I get there and fill out my paperwork, you know the usual. Your name, address, number and then down at the bottom they want to know your kids name. So I put down his name.

We go back and we get settled and narrow down the backgrounds and start the business of picture taking. While they get Eli settled and posed just right they are cooing at him and trying to get him to smile and all the goofy stuff we do to get kids to laugh and smile. We are finally ready for picture and they are doing their thing and Eli is doing his. Smiling and being cute and doing his thing. As photographers are taking the pictures they keep saying the name Dru. Which I couldn't figure out and I actually looked around the place once when they said Dru. So when they were taking his pictures they kept calling Eli, Dru and I couldn't figure it out, it took me a long time to figure out why they were. Have you guys figured it out? I bet you are quicker than I was. They were calling Eli, Dru because when I was filling out the paperwork when I first got there the child's name I put down was....Dru! Once I figured that out I started laughing so hard...I can't believe I did that!

The funniest part was I had to tell the girls I had given them the wrong name, THAT was gonna go over well. So I go over to the computer where they go over the pictures with you and I looked at them both and said well I have to tell you something and just keep in mind that I'm one of THOSE mothers. They both just stood there and blinked at me several times...you know...blink...blink...blink. So I told them that I had accidentally given them the wrong name for the child's name...I don't think they quite got it so I had to really explain myself. I said I had put one of my other kids names down and not this baby's name, that his name was NOT Dru but really it was Eli. They both sat there looking at me blinking and then chuckled nervously. I knew what was going through their heads...CRAZY lady! Or they were thinking this...KIDNAP! Or as Frank so nicely put it (and yes he found this quite funny) they might be thinking that I've just grabbed some random child and decided to have their picture taken. Either way, they just looked at me and chuckled nervously. (yes folks, it gets better).

So we continue on with looking at pictures and I'm looking at their ads for different things and finally stop to look at their club special. So I start doing some math in my head, never a good idea, and since I can't figure out the total I ask the girls. I ask them to do some quick math for me. What I was looking at was the picture special and then times that by how many little people I had. Well the special was $7.99. And for some reason this is what I said to them.

"Quick do some math for me. What is $14 times 4? "

They just looked at me blinking...blink...blink...blink. And I just sat there blinking...blink..blink..blink. Then it dawns on me, where the HELL did I get $14? So I just looked at the girls and said where did $14 come from? $7.99 times 4 is NOT $14? What the heck? They again just looked at me...again. See a pattern here? What I was trying to figure out was $7.99 times 4 was...needless to say it really ended up having nothing to with me buying their deal or not. So I just looked at them an apologized and said I was the ambassador from LA LA Land (took that from a friend) and to please just either laugh with me or just ignore everything I've just done. Again they just chuckled nervously. Pretty sure they went home and told their families about this one crazy lady who they are pretty sure took some kid off the street to take their picture, what a weirdo!

Well I hope that little bit of a story cracked you up cause I'm still laughing here! What mother can't keep their own kids name straight! I'm lucky if I remember who I am or who I'm with.

On another note, I live in an infirmary and of 6 people in this family their are 2 of us who aren't sick. All 4 of them have ear issues, all of which have popped or drained at one point or another. I think I have become an germaphobic. My skin is crawling every time I am near these people!!! Hacking lungs up and draining things with who knows what coming out of their ears! And then there is Frank...I am working hard on being more compassionate towards this man while he is sick, but it's hard when the man makes me nauseous. (Just had a bad shiver just thinking about it. ) Anyway, I hate this time of year because I feel like we are sick all the time and someone or another has a germ and you just can't get away from it (secretly I now understand why my father in law walks around his house with a Lysol can dousing everything anyone has ever touched, ssshhh...don't tell him I said that though).

On a more annoying note (and sorry to those of you who don't agree with this or work in a school...just one woman/mother's opinion) but I had to get Ian from school today because he had a slightly elevated temperature and his ear was hurting and he was shivering. I was asked to come get him, I didn't have the option to just say give it 10 minutes and see what happens. Well, Ian is notorious for milking things for all they are worth and I was/am skeptical (and yes I know that's horrible, but I am/was). So I get there and she's all atwitter cause his temperature has gone way up, to 100. Because I am who I am, I just looked at her and said oh? Instead of saying well of course it would be! You had a heat pack on him, he came in from recess so he was running around, he's in winter clothing under neat a blanket, yes I think his temp would be high. But I didn't. I don't like confrontation. So I'm unimpressed as it is (with myself and her), but I get more annoyed when she tells me that their is a new school policy. I said oh? Well apparently the new policy is that kids can't come back to school for 24 hrs from the time she takes his temp if there is a fever. She tells me I'm not allowed to bring my kid to school tomorrow because of that. I did look at her though with my most unimpressed mom face (have that picture in your head?) and told her what an annoying and silly new policy that was and walked out the door.

Stupid I tell you! So now I get to have kids home...and Lee doesn't want to stay home he wants to go to school...I was going to just keep him home for the rest of the week if that was the stance the school was going to take. We have Friday off, why the heck bother with Thursday? Oh well...I'm outnumbered...and I just know this whole stupid scare on the Swine Flu is the cause of all of this and THAT annoys the hell out of me.

On that note, a small apology for the length of today's post. Just have had a lot going on the last few days.

Take care all!

3 comments:

  1. Can't...... breath.........laughing.......so......... hard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may stop laughing at some point. I was sure you were going to say that you took the wrong kid. Tina has run in to this stupid 24 hour stuff with a 100 temp. That didn't use to be a fever unless they had a whole lot of symptoms. and btw I still cannot tell my girls from each other on the phone, I have to pause and see what they say before I make myself look foolish :) Before Daniel's voice changed they all 3 sounded a like and everyone said I did too! So we don't look alike we just sound alike! and I find you to be a completely normal mother. Would anyone think you would just grab another BOY?????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Auntie I don't think anyone thought I might but I could just see that look on the girl's faces...it was funny! And the 24 hr. stuff is new since last year, and it's ANNOYING! Ian is home now and he had no fever yesterday but because she recorded one I can't bring him to school! Assanine!

    ReplyDelete

Music That Moves You

I don't know about you guys, but there are times in my life that are defined by music. The summer after I graduated High school was Tom...