Monday, October 19, 2009

Chili and Tookies

So on Friday we went to Frank's parents house for a Chili feed and carve pumpkins...and of course to decorate tookies (cookies). This year the in laws made it quite easy and gutted the pumpkins for us...and by us I mean Frank...I can't remember the last time I carved a pumpkin. I like to help with the decorating of the sugar cookies...and when I use the word help...I say that loosely...I eat them.

So here are the boys and Frank doing the carving of the pumpkin...see how original they are...my fellas don't use stencils..they free hand it...and yes we were the first ones done. To be honest with you my kids are just there to use the carving knife...they fight over it.

Here Frank goes to work and I LOVE Eli touching his daddy's leg. As if to say I'm here if you need my help dad! And Daddy didn't need his help so he went off to do something more entertaining. Isn't his shirt cute? I thought it was spooktacular!I love this man. He drives me insane and I personally think he enjoys seeing me go off my rocker (and I think he does it on purpose) now and again, but I do love him.The Tookie Decorating table (I say tookie cause that's what one of my nephew's call it, and I think it's cute). With Grandma at the helm getting the sprinkles and icing out to use, I took a picture...then I came to check out what was available.So the Mother in Law made pumpkins, bats, and ghosts...these are my interpretations of said cookies. The ghost didn't make it home and the other two shortly followed suit once I got home and got everyone in bed. This is what really makes me feel like the holidays are upon us, once the MIL makes sugar cookies...kinda means the ball has started rolling. Only to go faster and faster until it bowls me on over.Our finished pumpkin...Hey Jack...what's up!?!The fellers...This is Eli's last 'first' holiday. It is VERY sad for me...my chest gets tight and I have a hard time breathing...the air has been SUCKED out of my chest...so let's not go there or think about it. Thanks!The in laws who host the party. Grandpa carved the witch and said it was Grandma...the kids thought that was hysterical. Wonder how much doo doo he was in after we all left?After we decorated tookies and carved pumpkins we take them outside and light them and get our pics taken. The grandparents bring the kids inside and give them a goodie bag with little things in them. Usually there is something in there like flashlight or something like that. What they do is turn all the lights off in the house and then Grandma starts out and tells a 'scary' Halloween story and then they go around the circle and each of the kids tell a story.

My children crack me up. We are not big celebrators of this holiday, just not my favorite but then again I really don't have a favorite holiday. Actually I'm just not wild about holidays in general. I don't let my kids dress up as scary things and I don't go all out with decorations at my house. I'm not wild about the candy they get either. I actually give them that night to eat as much as they can and then I throw it all away. This year though I might let them sell their candy to the Ortho guy and make some money. That will go over better than me telling them they have to chuck the candy.

So back to the story telling, my kids try to get in as many words they know that are related to Halloween in their story. Lee starts out with...it happened on a spooky night and he was walking to a house and in that house was a witch, who saw a skeleton who tried to catch a bat. It was a farting bat but it flew over a pumpkin...and so it went on. It was pretty funny!Here is Eli trying to get into his goody bag from Grandma and Grandpa. I still like the shirt.

We all had a good time and I know the kids had a great time! They love it all! All the food and soda and candy and tookies they can eat. No one tells them that's too much decorating icing on the cookie...(OK well I might but that's only cause it has to make it through 8 children and one Auntie) SHARE PEOPLE!

And on that note, have a great night/day.

3 comments:

  1. Very cute and yummy looking tookies. You will be sad when he fixes his words. Our Ortho buys the candy too. Skater boy would rather have the candy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I bet Lee will too. We'll see. And I will miss it terribly when he fixes his tookies to cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can just tell how much you 'dislike' Halloween!

    ReplyDelete

Music That Moves You

I don't know about you guys, but there are times in my life that are defined by music. The summer after I graduated High school was Tom...