Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Devotional

When I joined my mommy group and was a steering member we were told we needed to do a devotional to share with our group. I SO didn't want to do this. I H-A-T-E talking in front of people, even if it's people I know. I hated it in high school and I still hate it as an adult. I guess the only thing I have going for me is that now I don't go beat red or blush incessantly while I'm speaking...I just cry.

This was a stretching moment...which I'm pretty sure I could have done with out. So I have an idea of what I want talk about. But it's a matter of making it come together and making some sort of sense. And to also get through it with out sobbing. So my subject was trust...something I have been dealing with and trying to come to terms with? I guess? Last year sometime a bible verse was spoken and it caught my attention and I've held onto it ever since.

So here is what I said and read. I started out with my childhood was crappy and because of that I have always worried about bills, money and making sure that we have our basic needs taken care of. Life is stressful and when you add children to it, well life just gets interesting. I worry about Frank's job, just cause it's Boeing and I don't trust Boeing...don't trust them any farther than I can throw the company...which isn't far in case anyone was wondering. I heard this verse:

Jeremiah 29:11

'For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future'

The other passage I read is from,

Luke 12:22-34

Then Jesus said to his disciples: "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. Life is more than food , and the body more than clothes. Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?
"Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith! And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it. For the pagan world runs after all the such things, and your Father knows that you need them. But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well. "Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom. Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

So pretty much, I need to quit worrying about stuff and trust that God will take care of me and my family. That worrying is getting me no where and not helping me or my family. Not helping my marriage to worry about money and jobs and not helping my kids worrying like I do. So I am trying really hard to trust...

4 comments:

  1. I love the end of the verse, Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. That has always spoken to me. YOU did good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a worrier.. I will always be a worrier :) But I always pray I can be at peace with my life~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somehow I missed this post and I really think that I need it...today of all days! Thankyou Anita for such fabulous words. I am sure some other mammys needed it too and you needed a growth spurt.

    ReplyDelete

Music That Moves You

I don't know about you guys, but there are times in my life that are defined by music. The summer after I graduated High school was Tom...