Saturday, October 31, 2009

A Teachable Moment

Meet Optimus Prime, Batman the Brave, Batman the Bold, and their sidekick Robin...that costume seems to have the same affect on kids. Dru wore that same costume doing the same thing..screaming and crying and running from the group...eh...as Frank says ,well who REALLY wants to be someones side kick? Honestly? So I had what I and many others might call, a teachable moment that night, the night of Halloween. And here is what it was: I am not a trick or treater!!!!! I found out the hard way.

We went to Frank's brother's housing development and I'm pretty sure parents let their kids run amuck and not care! I was HORRIFIED! Please tell me why it's necessary to dress up as something scary? Why do you allow your kids to dress up as a terrorist? How does that not mock the lives lost in this country to not only 9/11 but other atrocities to our nation on foreign soil and our soil? Kids were pushing little kids down all in an effort to get CANDY!?! Boggles my mind. Kids were going to houses and the people in those houses were not answering the door so the kids were just being horrible! They were pounding on the door and constantly ringing the doorbell AND knocking on the door. The whole time yelling we know you are in there! What the HELL is wrong with these parents that they have not stopped these kids!?! OH that's right, it's more important to stand in the middle of the road and chit chat!! So I marched right up there and hollered that my kids need to get down and told those kids to knock it off, and go to the next house. When did it become OK to go right up to a car that was driving by and point your plastic toy gun up the window of said car and pretend shoot? And outside of me making Dru say thank you, I did NOT hear one child say thank you for the candy they received...horrified!!!! What ever happened to Please and Thank you? Is it lost? The whole experience was HORRIFYING! I/we (and if we are being truthful, I pulled the plug on trick or treating after probably 1/2 hour) and we left and came home and the kids were in bed by 8pm...I was DONE!

So after that experience, I looked at Frank and said next year it's ALL you! I want NO part of this! What I don't know will be probably for the best...and as long as everyone makes it home safe and sound with out injuries...life will go on! SO, next year I will stay at home with Sparky and I may or may not hand candy out and Frank will take the boys out and they will do their thing. I do not like Halloween!!! It's a horrible holiday if you can even call it a holiday...

Anyway, that's enough from me...there's my teachable, AHA moment...

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry it wasn't fun. Better to not do it. I don't think my little monkey was a terrorist though.....hmmm on second thought~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. What awful manners. Begging door to door is not a necessary experience growing up. Maybe planning your own little party - and no costumes don't have to be scarey. IMHO that has gotten worse over the years.

    ReplyDelete

Music That Moves You

I don't know about you guys, but there are times in my life that are defined by music. The summer after I graduated High school was Tom...